Thursday, January 15, 2015

Reading Response 2

The three stories that stuck out to me were the Handprinter, TOHL, and Hungry Planet Farms.  I thought each addressed a problem in a way that hasn’t been tried before.  The first one that interested me was handprinter.org.  I had heard of your “footprint” before, but the concept of an environmental “handprint” was new to me.  This website addresses the problem of mankind’s negative affect on our ecosystem by creating, essentially, a social media website that encourages and creates a net positive impact on our ecosystem.

The second idea that caught my attention was the TOHL, or mobile infrastructure.  While the actual build wasn’t complicated at all, the idea was revolutionary.  What makes this idea so unique is that all other means of emergency water supplies require either multiple truck loads whereas this new system requires only one trip for a reliable water source that is available for as long as needed. 

The last innovation that impressed me was the Hungry Planet Farms.  The cool thing about this idea was that it combined the sustainability of a farm with the easy transportation of cargo containers.  It is the combination of these two previously uncorrelated aspects of emergency response that makes this idea great.  All three of these stories interest me because of their unique innovation.


Although I am not certain about my passion, I want to go into engineering.  If I didn’t have to worry about money I would spend my time tinkering with electronics.  The only work I would want to do is creating miscellaneous gadgets

No comments:

Post a Comment