Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Article 1 Response

After reading these grammar rules I realize that I have made several of these mistakes.  I have definitely made mistakes when it comes to parallelism, but I believe I have gotten better about using it correctly.  I also can remember frequent situations when I can’t remember if I am supposed to use sank or sunk, and miscellaneous other past and participle verb confusion.  In general, I have made mistakes when it came to each of Yogoda’s tips except for maybe the dangling modifiers.

I thought his last two tips were very interesting.  I think the author makes a good point that semicolons should be used sparingly because they are commonly misused.  I also was never taught the second correct use for the semicolon.  I also have noticed how the meaning of words is constantly changing, and I believe it is something I should take into consideration when writing; however, I though some of his examples were more acceptable then he lets on.  For example, he says: “Don't use begs the question. Instead use raises the question.”  This is a expression I commonly use, but perhaps I should consider his alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment