Thursday, September 25, 2014

Book Blog 2

For some reason that I don’t consciously understand I still am reading Starters by Lissa Price.  To my amusement I found a major plot hole. 

            To start off the only mentionable development since my last post is that renters will be able to permanently take over a starter’s body.  This led to my realization of a plot hole that compromises virtually the entire plot of the book.  I realized the plot hole when Callie, a teen, is explaining to a 'ender' how taking another person’s body is murder. 


“Oh dear.”  Madison slumped back on the couch.  “That sounds so horribly
               inhumane.”  
            “You’re robbing them of the most precious thing-- their lives.”  I looked around and spotted my overnight bag against the wall.
            “When you put it that way… it sounds like kidnapping.”
            “It’s worse than that.”  I picked up my bag.  “It’s murder.” (209)

At this point I realized something else about this book was horribly askew: why was a sixteen year old explaining death to an elderly person whose lifespan has been extended to the point where she could be nearly two hundred years old?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  In my experience elderly persons seem to have a pretty good understanding what is murder and what isn’t.
            This book portrays “enders” as immature as soon as they are in a young body.    They suddenly lose their sixty plus years of life experience as soon as they look like a teen.  The character Madison who is involved with the dialog above is an “ender” who acts as a ditsy, arrogant teen is a perfect example of how this book ignores the wisdom of the elderly.   

            Once one realizes that the elderly renters wouldn’t act as ignorantly as the characters portrayed you realize that the book’s sinister plot wouldn’t actually work.  Elderly persons know what is right and what is wrong, and I have never met someone who wants to take away the life of a child. 

10 comments:

  1. I thought this book sounded good, but now it just sounds like it is frustrating you. I don't think I like the fact that their are holes in the plot. Good representation though through your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book yet but you make it sound really entreating

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures you chose are really funny. It seems like I really wouldn't enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely has to be the other way around! To be old and wise, a person first has to be young and stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you described it and added humor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! great point about the whole in the plot. Sounds like you are enjoying hating the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book seems to be confusing. I don't think I wold be able to follow it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the added humor that you include in your posts.

    ReplyDelete